Michele Thornton Ghee is a transformational visionary with 20 years of experience in corporate America and has managed over a billion dollars in revenue for some of the biggest media companies in the world. She currently serves as the SVP of Media Sales for BET HER (formerly Centric TV), where she and her team are charged with growing the revenue base for the network. Michele joined BET Her, a Viacom-BET Networks Company, in July of 2012. BET Her is a 24-hour African American lifestyle network designed for Black Women and is the only network that programs for black women 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Michele loves her creative side. She was instrumental in the rebranding of Centric as ‘The First Network Designed for Black Women” and then again into BET Her. Thornton Ghee has worked for some of the most powerful media brands including CNN, A&E, The History Channel, and The Weather Channel. She began her career at SBC Communications in Oakland, California (and yes, she is a huge Raiders fan).
Over her 20 year career, Michele’s passion for excellence has allowed her to master the following critical skills: leadership, diversity and inclusion, strategy, transformation (personal and professional), revenue generation, teamwork, work-life balance, and relationship building. She has spent the last several years speaking across the country and sharing her knowledge with vast audiences.
Michele Thornton Ghee has received honors from numerous organizations including The ADCOLOR Change Agent Award, The American Advertising Federation Mosaic Role Model of the Year Award, the Jesse Banks Humanitarian Award and the Black Girl Magic Award from Ohio State University. Most recently, she was named as a Multichannel News 2018 Woman to Watch. Thornton Ghee served as the chair of the Mosaic Executive Council from 2011-2013 and continues to play an active role in the media and advertising community while advocating for diversity in the communications industry.
Michele has authored two books: Stratechic: Life and Career Winning Strategies for Women and Stratechic 2.0: Her Plan, Her Power, Her Purpose. After she made a promise to her father, Walt Thornton, on his deathbed that she would make him proud of her, she received her Bachelor of Arts from Golden Gate University at the age of 30. In May 2017, Michele was honored with an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from her Alma Mater. She resides in New Jersey and is the proud wife of Antony Ghee and mother of Taylor and Jordan Ghee. Walt is and the rest of the community is truly proud of the work and impact Michele has had!
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2018 Woman to Watch, Multichannel News
- 2018 Working Mother of the Year, AWNY, She Runs It
- 2017 ChurchGurl Champion Honoree, ChurchGurl Foundation, Inc.
- 2017 Unapologetically HER Award, Tené Nícole, Marketing and Public Relations
- 2017 Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters, Golden Gate University
- 2017 Sister Accord Leadership Award, The Sister Accord Foundation
- 2016 Change Agent Award, Black Girl Magic Awards (Ohio State University)
- 2016 Champions for Youth Award, East Oakland Youth Development Center
- 2015 Humanitarian Award, Jessie Banks Foundation
- 2011 Role Model of the Year, American Advertising Federation, Mosaic Council
- 2009 Change Agent Award, ADCOLOR
- 2009 Impact Award, CNN